Authentic Italian pizza in a DIY stone oven far into the backcountry
- An Italian classic meets genuine Norwegian mountain trout
Why not make the "people's favourite" (Norwegians love pizza!) in a traditional Italian way while you're out on a trip? You can let your creativity run wild with this one. Here is what we did:
Catch a trout and make a stone oven with two compartments; a space for heating from below, a slate in the middle and room above for the pizza (See the video for further explanations). Fill the lower compartment with charcoal and light it up. Close up all the major gaps to let the slate get hot.
You can see a movie in the end of the article.
Ingredients for 4 people:
Pizza dough. We used a ready made version that can be rolled out on the spot.
4 champignon mushrooms (or any other mushroom of your choosing).
Pizza sauce (ready made, made ahead or made on the spot): 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 1 shallot, finely chopped, 3 teaspoons sugar, 1 table spoon oregano, 1 table spoon basil, and pepper to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Divide and roll the pizza dough into suitable portions.
- Put the ingredients on in this suggested order: pizza sauce, cheese, onion, mushrooms and pieces of trout.
- Put the pizza in the oven and let it cook until the crust looks golden. It should take anytime from 6-12 minutes depending on the temperature in the oven.
If you want to try cooking delicious in wilderness or wanna have a dinner in the wilderness. Take a look here
//Christer Nannestad - Youtube & Instagram: Nansen_Bamsen
Translated by Bergljot Sindredottir Støer - Instagram: bergy_b
Cooking in the movie from6:25